I have a problem with worrying. I have since I was little. In middle school my mom would come home to find me in tears if she was even so much as 20 minutes late coming home from work. I'd worry so much and entertain all sorts of anxious thoughts, that by the time she was walking in the door my mind had me at her funeral. Horrible! Worrying is a really bad thing, and lately I've been thinking and wondering... is worrying a sin? I know God tells us not to worry, but I've never really thought of it as sin before. But isn't sin doing the opposite of what God tells us to do? Isn't sin disobeying Him? He sets the moral standards of right and wrong. Without His standard, what standard do we measure by? Why would it be okay to worry?
I've heard it said before, "Well, I'm a mom, I'm allowed to worry." And I totally and completely am guilty of being a worrying mom. But I don't think its right. I don't think our enormous responsibility and love for our children gives us permission to worry. I don't see any small print in Philippians Ch.4, where Paul writes that we should be anxious about nothing and pray about everything, except for moms.
I worry about everything. I worry about things that have already happened. I worry about things that haven't happened. I worry about Jonny driving to work. I worry about making the right choice for the boys' schooling. I worry about our finances. I worry about our extended family. I worry about what people think. I worry about WAY TOO MUCH! Which makes me conclude that I pray WAY TOO LITTLE!
I know the verse, "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." -2 Tim. 1:7
I know the verse, "You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." -Isa 26:3
But am I living these verses out? Am I repeating them over and over when my mind wants to entertain anxious thoughts? I can't say that I am. I want to trust God completely. I want to be in constant conversation with Him. I want Him to be the Ruler of my mind.
1 comment:
I also recite this one to myself quite often;
Matthew 6:34 "Therfore do not be anxious for tomarrow, for tomarrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
But 6:25 through 34 is all good!
XXXOOO MOM
Post a Comment