Have you ever had a day where it seems like all your interactions w/ other people are negative? Well, that was my day yesterday... & it put me in a great mood seeing as how those few interactions were my only adult interaction of the day. (Jonny didn't get home until 9pm.)
Yesterday Eli & I went to Wal-Mart in Lebanon to get a few baby things & birthday gifts for cousins. First I talked to an unfriendly customer service clerk, followed by another, then I tried asking a question to a sales lady who didn't understand a word I was saying (She was deaf & I'm pretty sure her first language was Spanish.) Later, we wandered over to the toy section. Immediately I notice this older lady, lock eyes w/ Eli. They exchanged hellos & smiles; no big deal, I'm used to Eli being friendly w/ everyone. I walked over to the aisle I was looking for & started looking for what I wanted. Eli was reaching for anything he can grab off the shelf. I told him no & he obeyed. Everything was totally fine.
Out of the corner of my eye I could still see that lady watching us. Then she came over. She started talking to Eli & rubbing his back. She didn't acknowledge me- not a word. Then she reached over to the shelf I just told Eli not to touch & handed him a book! Of course he takes it & likes this attention b/c it meant he didn't have to obey Mama. And she didn't leave! She stood there talking to Eli, showing him different books & reading pages to him- still completely ignoring me. Completely undermining my authority as his MOTHER & regarding Eli as if he's his own boss. I was a little irritated to say the least. I quickly picked out what I wanted, put the book back, & walked to another aisle. The lady followed us! I very quickly picked another item & got the heck out of there! I was a little afraid to even slightly turn my back on Eli in case this crazy lady took him or something. :)
Okay, so Jonny gets home & of course I'm just waiting for him to walk in the door so I can vent about my experience to him. (Poor Jonny!) He was sympathetic in that the lady overstepped her boundaries as a STRANGER! Then, Jonny gave me some wise counsel. He's always so good at this! He is always reminding me to try to see the good instead of the bad. He always says its better to err on the side of 'they meant good' rather than 'they meant to offend you'. So, this lady probably was just a lonely old lady who loves little kids. She probably thought it'd be nice to help a pregnant lady do her shopping by distracting her toddler. It was right of me to be cautious b/c she was a stranger. I should have just smiled, & went on my way. It was wrong of me to get angry & judge her as a crazy old lady. :)
Then, this morning I remember what we talked about at bible study on Tuesday- Romans 14- we talked about judging others. Of course this chapter is talking about Christians not judging other Christians for minor differences of opinions or convictions, but the principle of not regarding yourself as being higher than others applies. "Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another." ~Rom. 14:19 Or, "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” ~Gal. 5:14 We, Christians, are called to love people. (That can be a really hard job sometimes!) We are supposed to be good witnesses & clothe ourselves in Christ's love & humility. What can I say, I'm a working progress. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment