In keeping what I've been doing, I'm using my NLT Bible... so other translations may very slightly in the specific wording...
13:1 "A wise child accepts a parent's discipline, a young mocker refuses to listen."
13:24 "If you refuse to discipline your children, it proves you don't love them; if you love your children, you will be prompt to discipline them."
19:18 "Discipline your children while there is hope. If you don't, you will ruin their lives."
22:15 "A youngster's heart is filled with foolishness, but discipline will drive it away."
23:13-14 "Don't fail to correct your children. They won't die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death."
29:15 "To discipline and reprimand a child produces wisdom, but a mother is disgraced by an undisciplined child."
29:17 "Discipline your children, and they will give you happiness and peace of mind."
29:21 "A servant who is pampered from childhood will later become a rebel."
The only input I wanted to add was on 13:24... about not loving your kids if you don't discipline them. It's hard for me to imagine that any parent doesn't love their child... I'd like to think that every sain, right minded person loves their children. However, I listened to a message by Jon Courson on the topic of discipline/chastisement, and I liked what he had to say regarding this verse. He was saying to ignore or put off disciplining your children is lazy and selfish, and by doing so you are putting yourself first. Training/correcting/disciplining (which ever phrase you choose) takes work! He was saying that by not putting the time and effort into such discipline is loving yourself more than your children. I thought that was interesting. I think that line of thinking can be applied to our relationships with everyone... we always want to do what's best/easiest/most convenient & comfortable for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment