Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Our Primary Calling

I am reading a book right now called Sheparding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp & I'm loving it! In his book, Tripp speaks to us parents & gives us a vision to to re-align our parenting goals to what scripture lays out as a straight & wise way to raise children. He gives practical examples of how we can establish relationship & authority with our children as we try to show them by words & example their need for a savior. I'm not done yet, but so far every chapter has been encouraging. I feel refreshed & inspired to take on the challenge, responsibility & honor of shepherding my children in a way that glorifies God. Not that I've had things all wrong, but I've gleaned a few little nuggets & tools that I want to start incorporating in our parenting. Hopefully our earnest efforts (but mostly by the conviction of the Holy Spirit, of course) will enable our children to understand issues of the heart, sin, authority, discipline, forgiveness, mercy, kindness, & love from a biblical perspective.

Why is it that today parenting is not regarded as sacred? It seems like everyone has kids because that's just what you do when you grow up & get married. Are we really aware of how sacred this job is? Are we aware that we are molding & shaping precious little creations with every choice & interaction we have? I often find myself questioning how to handle certain situations appropriately as to not 'screw up' my kids. I don't ever want my parenting to be such a struggle & annoyance that my favorite time of the day is when the kids are asleep. I don't want my focus to be on survival but on the eternal perspective. I want my focus, my aim to be on preparing people for His kingdom.

I love how Ted Tripp laid it out the costs & importance of parenting:
There is a simple way to look at the cost of deep, full-orbed communication. You must regard parenting as one of your most important tasks while you have children at home. This is your calling. You must raise your children in the fear and admonition of the Lord. You cannot do so without investing yourself in a life of sensitive communication in which you help them understand life and God's world. There is nothing more important. You have only a brief season of life to invest yourself in this task. You have only one opportunity to do it. You cannot go back and do it over.

You live in a culture in which there are opportunities for you to do things unheard of in history. You are presented daily with scores of options for investing your life's energies and creativity. There is more than you could ever do. You must, therefore, prioritize.

Parenting is your primary calling. Parenting will mean that you can't do all the things that you could otherwise do. It will affect your golf handicap. It may mean your home does not look like a picture from Better Homes and Gardens. It will impact your career and ascent on the corporate ladder. It will alter the kind of friendships you will be available to pursue. It will influence the kind of ministry you are able to pursue. It will modify the amount of time you have for bowling, hunting, television, or how many books you read. It will mean that you can't develop every interest that comes along. The costs are high
.


This was so good for me to read right now. Because we've been so busy, I've been telling Jonny that I just don't have enough time. I don't have time for anything but the boys & keeping up the house. After reading this, I'm reminded that it's okay! I may not be reading as many books as I'd like or even making as many friends as I'd like but its not because I'm being lazy. My time is very well spent. There is nothing more important for me to be investing my time in. The costs are high- yes; but so worth it!

I am so thankful that we can afford for me to be at home pouring my life into my kids. I don't ever want to not be discipling my kids. I don't ever want our family to see 'bible teaching' as something only for little kids or only for Sunday school. Until my kids leave our house I want to be praying & reading the Word with them. Because, like Tripp said, this season with them is so short, I want it to be a time of immersing them in the things of God, always. I don't ever want us to put our careers, hobbies, or our own interests above shepherding our children.

I've heard it said that our marriages are our primary ministry & together, as a couple serving the Lord, our primary calling is to raise our children in the fear & admonition of the Lord. That is my daily prayer!

Lord, give me the strength & wisdom to raise these little children for you. I pray, again, that they come to know you at an early age. Give them hearts that can discern right from wrong & truth from lies. Please, God, use me despite my weaknesses & show me my sin before it affects my children. Keep me close to You. Keep me in a short account with You. Shape me into Your image. Keep me from taking this responsibility lightly. Protect our marriage & may it glorify you. Perfect our marriage where it needs correction. By Your Spirit, may we be able to show our children what you have intended for marriage. Please protect these little hearts. According to Your will, reveal Yourself to them & show them their need for The Savior.

2 comments:

Sintari said...

Jessie, this is such a sweet post, and I completely agree that parenting is to be our primary focus while we have children in our home.
I've heard many people praise this book up and down, but I have to say, I'm not a fan. :) It's a bit on the legalistic side for my taste. The author supports the idea of spanking an 8-months-old, and claims that parents who don't spank are raising their children in an "ungodly" fashion, and don't love their children. Yikes. I hate to think what that makes me!
One author I've enjoyed is Dr. Sears, a pediatrician and father of 8, who offers a Christian perspective from a different angle.
That said, each of us will parent our children in our own ways, and I do think you are doing a wonderful job.
I keep thinking of more to say... I could go on and on about my feelings on this book - maybe I should just write a post on my own blog. :)
- Amy

Anonymous said...

Thats wonderful that you've found some more godly advise. I know that God will continue to guide you and Jonny in your parenting and even thru your book that you are currently reading. XXXOOO MOM