Thursday, June 30, 2011

Sunday School

We just finished up our last Sunday in the four & five year old classroom for the year!  Our last five Sundays to teach have been fun, but like a long list of other things (i.e. house chores, cooking dinner, following our daily schedule, rotating toys, doing "school" with the boys, blogging, blah blah blah) I haven't been giving it 100% due to my pregnancy fatigue and nasea.  Even though I didn't think of super cool craft ideas, class went well and the kids were happy with what we did do.  Here are pictures of the crafts from our last four lessons:

First, I don't have a picture from our lesson on Elijah & the widow.  We didn't do one; instead we went outside and collected sticks like the widow was doing to prepare for her last meal.  When we came inside, we found a big loaf of bread!  We talked about how God provides for us and we are so blessed to have snacks at church.  We also prayed for faith like Elijah.



 The week we taught on Solomon, I didn't do a whole lot of preparation.  After reading the story and watching a cartoon clip of the story we did a simple coloring sheet.  I love how the kids are so happy to do anything you make sound exciting!  We prayed for God to give us wisdom like Solomon.  We talked about how living in a humble home with little money and knowing Jesus is better than a big fancy home but not knowing Jesus.  Wisdom is more valuable than rubies and diamonds.













This next craft was for the story of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego.  This was an exciting story because of what happened to the three men for their faith in God.  The kids were silent for the entire story, as well as the video clip.  For the craft they glued flames to the paper, along with the three men, and the fourth man, Jesus, that protected them.  Their faith was so great that even when their life was threatened in a terrible way, they stood strong for the Lord.  I pray that none of these little kiddos have to face such terrible persecution in their lives, but whatever trials they may have to walk through that God would give them strength and faith to stand for Truth for His glory.
This craft is looking pretty shabby- it was left in the van and acquired a few dirty foot prints.  The story for this coloring sheet, if you haven't guessed already, is of boy kind Josiah!  I love sharing stories of the men our boys are named after.  I prayed over the kids that God would give them each a heart that is sensitive to the Spirit.  That they would have a deep love and devotion to God's Word just like Josiah.  I prayed that they would not only have a desire to regularly read God's word but to live out God's word.








Lastly, we have Jonah & the whale!  This was another great one because all of the kids knew it.  We talked about making good choices and how it usually doesn't end up "well with you" when you disobey.  Then we rejoiced over God's mercy and grace and how God will always forgive a sorry heart- I explained what having a contrite heart means.  For the craft each kid glued blue tissue paper squares to their whale cutout.

Its been a fun year!  I think one of my favorite times in the classroom is the prayer/praise time right after our worship.  I love to hear their cute little requests for Jesus to heal a sisters owie or a mommy's tummy ache, or for a grieving family that lost a pet fish.  Then there's the sweet praises for a new toy or a new sibling or a visit with cousins.  There are always a few kids (sometimes my Eli) who are thankful for Jesus.  It must put a smile on His face.  Absolutely precious!

1 comment:

JuRita said...

Precious Jess. You both are wonderful teachers and the kids are extremely blessed by your faithfulness! (I will have to show Sean)
Reminds me of when he and I used to serve in class together at Westland. We always would have fun stories. You will be amazed to see those same kids walk by you in the hall at "eye level" someday!
Miss you and look forward to seeing your new little blessing. I will keep you in prayer as we walk this journey of pregnancy together!
Much Love dear friend :)