Wednesday, November 3, 2010

thankful

I am thankful for Women's Bible Study.

This year we are studying through 1 Corinthians, and yesterday we were in Ch. 3 vs. 1-15.  Josiah was asleep for half of it, and played quietly with the Ergo strap for the last half, so I was able to pay attention.   The first few verses were about being mature in the Lord and not compromising the teachings of the Word for the empty cares of the world.  Cindy pointed out how it can be easy to do that in small ways- notice W-O-R-L-D is just one letter different than W-O-R-D.  It was such a good check for me.  Cindy used the phrase, "garbage in- garbage out" which I've heard before, but something about the context yesterday caught my attention.  If we're watching, reading, listening to or hanging out with garbage then that is what we'll be meditating on, and that is what will most likely come out.  In contrast, if we're immersed in the Word, taking of our daily bread, then we will be cleaned, strengthened, renewed, refreshed, and by the grace of the Spirit fruitful speech and attitudes will come from it.  It made me ask myself what I crave- godly things or trash?  It also made me think about what things or people bring out the carnal in me- I need to be bringing those things to the Lord and asking Him to put me through His refining fire.  Paul said to the Corinthians that because of their immature behavior, he had to speak to them like worldly, carnal people or like they were babies in their faith.  Can I handle solid food like a mature christian or can I only digest milk like an infant christian?
In the second half of the study, the part that stood out to me was about how believers do not belong to or follow man but God.  The people of Corinth were putting far too much emphasis and glory on their leaders.  I like how vs. 6-7 reads in my NLT, "My job was to plant the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God, not we, who made it grow.  The ones who do the planting or watering aren't important, but God is important because he is the one who makes the seed grow."  I love this reminder because God certainly uses leaders to teach and equip us, but it is He who is pulling at our heart strings.  It is He who deserves the praise and glory!  AND... it is He who does the tilling (which can sometimes be painful) to make us into a beautiful field ready to produce good fruit for Him.  

Ahh, I love the Word!  :) 

**Speaking of maturing from milk to eating solid food- look who's been trying rice cereal!


He's not too sure about it.  :)

No comments: