Thursday, October 29, 2009

Bring on the rain!

The rainy season has officially begun. We have been getting rain every day, and I'm kinda liking it! It's so funny how we change and adapt to the things around us. When Jonny and I first moved up here we hated the rain. That first year was a tough one. I remember listening to the news and learning that that year's rain fall was more than the Portland Metro & Willamette Valley had seen in years. Now that's a lot of rain! We got hit hard the first year away from home. It was a big difference than what we were used to in Klamath Falls. It gets freezing cold in Klamath, but the sun still shines most days. And there definitely isn't as much rain in that high desert area. Some days, walking on campus, it seemed like an umbrella did no good at all- like the rain came in sideways and my jeans would be soaked in five minutes. I remember saying, 'I hate Corvallis!' That makes me laugh now because of course I have to say that I love Corvallis!

By the time our next baby is born I will have lived in the Willamette Valley for 7 1/2 years- the same amount of time I lived in Klamath Falls. Crazy! I would have never guessed that this is where we'd be. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that I'd have three children in Corvallis! No, my plan was much different. When we were first married, my plan was to finish school at OSU and then move back to Klamath. Jonny would get a job teaching high school bio, and I would get a job teaching kindergarten. I would have my first baby when I was 24, and go back to work- teaching half-time kindergarten. Hmm... didn't really work out that way. :) I'm so thankful for the way it did work out. I love that I had my babies at the times I had them. I love staying home with the boys. I love the friends we've made. I love being so much closer to my sisters in Beaverton. I love that Jonny loves the job he has. I love our church. I love being just an hour away from big cities. I love that our third baby will be born here. And I can now say that I even love the rain... most of the time.

...... I miss my mommy, but I talk to her every day and 4 hrs isn't terrible... Right, Mom?

3 comments:

JuRita said...

I grew up here (with tons of rain/clouds) and never noticed it till we moved to Missouri for 2 years. The rain in MO was an exciting thunderstorm that came and went! When we moved back I was depressed for almost a year because of the weather. So I know what ya mean sista'!

Mom said...

I'm so very happy for you guys and the way things have worked out for you. I do miss you so very much though but I want whats best for your family and so far that has been where you are. I love talking with you and Eli and soon with Noah. 4hrs is not to far, not like Casper, WY would have been.
XXXOOO MOM

Becky said...

And you miss your little sister, Becky, too, right?! Maybe I'll join you in the Willamette Valley one of these days...I really like it there too. The Fall season there is better than anywhere I've seen. We don't get those vibrant fall colors down here or in Klamath. It pretty much goes from green to brown.