Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Snyder

I am so mad right now! Just to warn all you dog lovers out there, I am about to rant and rave about my dog. If you happen to love and adore dogs, that's great for you. You are probably more patient and motivated than I am. For me... well, I can't stand our dog! He smells, he's dirty, he's disobedient, he chews, he's loud, he pees, he's expensive, he's just too much maintenance for me and takes up so much of my time. I realize all of these things could be said of my boys, but the difference is huge. I love my boys; I delight in them. They are worth my time and effort because they are a gift and reward from God, and they are an internal investment for His kingdom. That hairy beast stinking up my brand new house is absolutely none of those things. I care enough... like if he was hit by a car- that would be sad, but that's about it. I don't enjoy spending time with him. In fact, I usually don't like to be near him. I can't stand it when his nasty, cold, wet mouth touches my leg or tries to lick my arm. Gross!! How do people stand a dog licking them? Do you know where that dog mouth has been!? Besides that, it just feels icky. No thank you. I cleaned up dog pee three times today- once from Snyder's dog bed and twice from his dog kennel. I don't have time for that! It's disgusting. Noah made a poopy mess in his crib (again!) yesterday, and although that is gross too, it doesn't bring up this rage and meanness in me. Noah is so worth the 20 minutes of clean up. You just can't even begin to compare the value of children vs. dogs. Maybe that's where I'm screwed up- I had children first, so dogs just seem so unnecessary. Snyder just seems to be unnecessary, extra work and money.

I grew up with a dog. His name was Charlie. We had got him when I was 10, and he died when I was 19. I cried and cried when he died. I really liked that dog. I mean I really enjoyed having him and playing with him. So maybe it's a kid thing? Does having a dog teach children/teenagers about the responsibility of caring for another life? Why don't we just have a bunch of kids and then they can get practice of the real deal? :0 I understand why people get dogs- they want someone to take care of and nurture. Young people without kids want to practice for kids or just have dogs in place of kids, and empty nesters miss caring for their little ones. But us? We have our hands full with our little ones. I don't know... I don't want to be a quitter and I feel really guilty when I think about getting rid of the poor mutt, but maybe it would be for the best. For Snyder and for us. So... Anyone want a 4 mo. chocolate lab?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yah! Boy, I think we've all got an animal or something that was not appropriate at the time and regreted it, you're not alone. I do think your feelings about the dog right now are justified. There is always someone that will want your dog should you decide to try the dog thing another time. He is still young enough and besides you guys have already put up alot of the cost and training that should look good to someone.

Jess, you've got your hands full right now as it is and your cute little house is really not set up for a large dog! Your new lawn will be ruined, toys will be chewed up and very little kids will be knocked down, how about a nice kitten Jonny??? (for Jess( MOM

Lacey said...

Oh Jessie! I totally agree with your mom that you aren't alone and have every reason to feel the way you do. I'm so sorry that he's such a pain and I really wish we could help somehow. Want me to come walk him? :)