A few weeks ago, I went to an info meeting for Classical Conversations- a tutor/curriculum program for homeschooling families. The curriculum follows a classical approach to education, taught through a biblical worldview. Today I went to the Albany CC group for their open house and Eli and I sat in on a class. I have a few concerns about my boys, but overall I really like it and so does Eli. As we walked out of the classroom, Eli said, "I like Classical Conversations! Its fun!" No joke. It was so cute to watch him in a "classroom" setting. He did a great job participating and answering questions.
A bunch of my friends do this program, and one of my closest friends is starting one up at our church for next year. I REALLY wanted to try it out, in another town, last year, but we got a closed door from the Lord. I've been saving money for about six months now and have already registered both Eli and Noah for next year in Corvallis. We'll meet every Monday for 3ish hours, then have the rest of the week to practice and review.
Here's my dilemma. I was asked to pray about being a tutor, which I think I'd really like AND my payment would cover both boys' tuition. HOWEVER, for the sake of Noah, I'm not sure if I should. He really doesn't like to participate in group settings and three hours of paying attention to school stuff might be an unrealistic expectation for him. I think that is difficult for boys in general. I was watching 5-7 year old boys struggle to stay on task. My teaching style would probably be a little different, more tailored for boys... but its still something I need to pray through. I might just need to sit by his side and be "Mom" and not "Teacher Mom." Decisions, decisions...
2 comments:
You are doing a good job Jess..
May God fill you with all wisdom and understanding.
It was good to see you.. even for a quick moment.
Lets try to get together again soon ;)
So exciting! I am so bummed that we will likely not be in the area next school year. I would have loved to be a part of CC at church with all of you. Have you talked with Janine Arthur? She is Josh's tutor and at the beginning of the school year her 3.5 and 5.5 year olds were both in her tutor class. Tough decisions for you! God will lead you and show you His perfect place for you to be. I am really excited for you being in CC. I think all of you will love it.
Post a Comment