For about two years now, Jonny and I have been having asking each other the same question over and over. We ask what the magic number for our family is? This question seems to be answered so easily by some, but not for us. How do we know when we're done? What's the secret to knowing your family is complete?
Do we make the decision in the heat of chaos & havoc? If that's the case, we should have been done after two. Do we make the decision based on money? If that's the case, maybe just maybe we'll have financial peace with a decent savings account when we're 60! (But I'm hoping Jesus will come back for us by then!) Do we make the decision to have one more when they're all in bed- unconscious & adorable? If that's the case, how could we ever be done? Do we make the decision when our family vehicle has no more available seat belts? If that's the case, we could just trade it in for a bigger rig! Do we make the decision when we feel life is overwhelming? If that's the case, we shouldn't have even started because there will always be something overwhelming in life. (And maybe that's where God wants me- completely dependent on him for the strength to endure each and every day.) Do we make the decision based on thinking who we could be missing out on adding to our family? If that's the case, how would we ever draw the line? Do we make the decision based on when other people think we should be done? ... that one is just ridiculous!
I struggle with knowing when we're done because I get so very sad thinking about the last time I'll experience a precious little life growing inside of me. I'm absolutely addicted to being pregnant and having a brand new baby. I love the pregnant stage (after the first trimester, anyway) -feeling those wonderful baby kicks and hiccups, listening to that quick pah-pum, pah-pum, pah-pum on the Doppler, imagining what this new creation could look like, and then when that new little life is laid on my bare chest for the fist time- OH MY! Talk about the best moments of my life! But even letting those feelings affect our decision seems silly because every good season comes to an end, right? Its just a matter of how long the season is. We have friends whose season of having babies was over in two years and others who have been having babies for the last 21 years.
Hmm, maybe like all other decisions, its one that should be made through prayer. Waiting on God. Praying to God. Letting His word guide us. Seeking wise counsel and asking others to pray for us. Asking God to give us both a united peace about the decision.
I can almost hear my mom's voice saying, "Decisions, decisions." :)
7 comments:
can i steal this......sigh....this is exactly where we are at and what we are going through. Praying for you and us!
Oh so true. This is where I am. I could have totally written this.
I love your comment about the being addicted to pregnancy and growing life inside of you.... too bad the lady I talked to the other day wouldn't hear it. she was so appalled that i would choose to be pregnant "for sooo long" and that I should be tired of it (like she was). So sad, after i got over her rudeness, I felt sorry of her.
If we wait for the 'right time", there will never be any children. Our financal security can only be found in GOD, as is our emotional, spiritual, and circumstancial well-being....
The LORD will direct your ways if you fully trust HIM and stay focused on HIM.
Blessings on you and your family! :)
Yup, those same thoughts happen over here too. These babies are addicting! We're so, so blessed that God has blessed us so richly with these amazing little people. :)
(I can hear the clock ticking over here, though. Donnie's turning 40 soon, and I'm getting older too. Be glad you started so young!) :) :)
I was just reading one of my favorite blogs (clarkchatter.blogspot.com) and read a quote I thought you'd appreciate,
"I have worked with lots of elderly people and without exception, no one ever regretted having the kids they had, but I met many who wished they would have had more."
Wow, Amy! I've heard people say that too. Especially people who have suffered through a tragedy of losing a child.
Oh, and Amy... we know a couple who I believe are about 42 and just had their 13th. He's a healthy little boy who actually slept through his circumcision! They say they expect great things from him!! :)
12kidsandcounting.blogspot.com
Very well said, Jessica!
Post a Comment