Saturday, July 11, 2009

Pet?

Okay, so Eli wants a kitty and Noah wants a doggy. Or so Eli says. We've been entertaining the idea of getting a pet for awhile now... since we will soon be home owners. It's so crazy because I've always thought I was a big pet person. I think from the day I was born, my family always had at least one pet in the house. During my middle school/high school years we even had ourselves a little three acre farm consisting of fish, dogs, cats, hamsters, horses, pygmy goats, chickens, ducks, and rabbits. I loved animals and couldn't imagine how people could be anti pet people.

My, how things have changed. I wouldn't exactly say I've changed into an anti pet person, but I haven't had a pet in seven years, and now that we're thinking about getting one, I'm a little nervous. It's a lot of responsibility. And there are so many things to consider. Do we get a cat or a dog or both? What breed of dog? A boy or a girl? How much is this going to cost? What if it gets sick & needs to go to the vet? What if it sheds? What if it pees on our brand new carpet? What do we do with it if we go on vacation? What if it hurts our kids? What if our kids hurt it? What if it's loud? What if we don't like it? How are we going to find time to train it? Gosh, it just seems like a big commitment. I keep telling Jonny, maybe we should just have another kid. That seems like it might be a little easier. :)

On the other hand the boys are stinkin' cute when they are around animals. Noah just loves dogs. "Da! Da! Da!" is what he repeats over and over with his little pointer finger showing us exactly where the dog is. :) And I have to admit that Becky and I learned a lot about responsibility and taking care of others when we had all those pets to care for. (Especially when it was in the middle of winter and we had to feed & water the animals before we caught the bus!) But.... we were teenagers. It's not like Eli & Noah will be of much help. Hmm... see, so much to consider!

Yesterday I took the boys to PetCo. (Its kinda like taking a trip to a little 'domesticated animal' zoo. The boys love it when we take little field trips there.) We got some information on pet adoption, and last night Jonny and I spent some time looking at pictures of puppies that are up for adoption. Oh my gosh! We saw some cute puppies! It turns out kittens are pretty cute too, and in very good supply. :) So what do you think? Are we crazy? Should we go through with it? What's your vote? Dog? Cat? Baby?


P.S.> Happy Birthday, Becky!

4 comments:

Julia said...

You guys can have Daisy... I am probably going to have to take her to the humane society before we move... :) Just a thought, you guys probably want a kitten or a puppy though.

Jessie said...

Oh, gee... thanks Julia. Daisy... hmm.... I don't know what to say about that cat. Poor thing. :(

Becky said...

You forgot about rabbits when you were naming off all our animals. :) I know what you mean, lately I've been wanting to adopt another kitty cuz I remeber how fun it was getting Marley. But I won't cuz Marley is a handful on her own. This morning I woke up to find 2 spots of cat puke on the carpet. I think she got a little excited when I returned from my trip and fed her and she just ate too fast. She sure was cute following me all over the apartment and purring and meowing for attention. She curled up right against my chest like she usually does and slept with me last night. She's exactly what I wanted in a kitty. :)

brea snyder said...

I think either would be great!!! But with another baby...do you want all the work of both? I don;t know I love both so much!!!