Corrie recounts pieces of her early years, growing up in an amazing family and then what became of them during the Holocaust.. I would love to go back in time and meet her family, especially her dad. I got the impression that every word out of his mouth was wisdom.
Corrie's story is one of great tribulation, faith, forgiveness, love, tragedy and through it all, God's sovereignty and protection. Corrie's family loved God with such passion. They craved His Word like food to their soul. They prayed constantly; in fact, at one point Corrie said of her sister that it became hard to tell when Betsie was speaking to God or to her. Amazing, amazing stuff! I'd like to highlight some parts of the book that really stirred me up inside:
At one point, Corrie shares a story of asking her dad a question as a young girl. Her father felt she was too young to discuss what she had asked about and he handled it with such wisdom.
"Will you carry it (his heavy traveling case) off the train, Corrie?" he said.
I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning.
"Its too heavy," I said.
"Yes," he said. "And it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It's the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger, you can bear it. For now, you must trust me to carry it for you."
She thought back to this wisdom several times in her life when the trial before her was too heavy to carry herself. She prayed that God would carry it for her.
In another part of the book, when she and her sister were walking naked into the showers at a prison camp in front of all the guards and feeling so embarrassed and vulnerable this is what happened:
But it was one of these mornings while we were waiting, shivering, in the corridor, that yet another page in the Bible leapt to life for me. He hung naked on the cross.
"Betsie, they took His clothes too."
Ahead of me, I heard a little gasp. "Oh, Corrie. And I never thanked Him."
I thought this was so, so precious and sweet! And it was the thought that their Savior had been stripped naked and humiliated for us that gave them the strength and courage to press on.
Then there is the whole message of forgiveness. Corrie's sister, Betsie, had such a forgiving heart for her persecutors. She prayed for them, felt sorry for them, and was kind to them. It was incredible to read. Years after she had been in prison, Corrie had a situation that put a challenge of forgiveness right in front of her face. A former guard from the shower room at the prison attended one of her speeches at a church service. Here's what happened:
His hand was thrust out to shake mine. And I, who had preached so often to the people in Bloemendaal the need to forgive, kept my hand at my side.
Even as the angry, vengeful thoughts boiled through me, I saw the sin of them. Jesus Christ had died for this man; was I going to ask for more? Lord Jesus, I prayed, forgive me and help me to forgive him.
I tried to smile, I struggled to raise my hand. I could not. I felt nothing, not the slightest spark of warmth or charity. And so again, I breathed a silent prayer. Jesus, I cannot forgive him. Give me Your forgiveness.
As I took his hand, the most incredible thing happened. From my shoulder, along my arm and through my hand, a current seemed to pass from me to him, while into my heart sprang a love for this stranger that almost overwhelmed me."And finally, towards the end of their time in prison, Corrie's precious sister said, "No pit is so deep that He is not deeper still."
Again and again Corrie and her sister were reminded to be thankful in all circumstances- like what it says in 1 Thessalonians, even in the most wretched conditions. They shared the gospel with everyone they met. Their lives were truly humbling and inspirational. What a baby I am! The things I complain about! The things I struggle to forgive! The things I need! Ick, its despicable!
A couple days after I finished reading the book, Corrie's amazing story was still racing through my mind. I opened my bible and read Paul's words to Timothy saying that Christians would "be filled with love that comes from a pure heart, a clear conscience, and sincere faith." That seemed to fit with the character of the entire Ten Boom family. Also, I read a little later, "For women who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves attractive by the good things they do." I have no idea what Corrie and her sister Betsie looked like while they were in prison, but I can only imagine that as God looked down on them, they shined with radiant beauty that glorified Him.
“Never allow yourself to complain about anything, not even the weather. Never picture yourself in any other circumstances or some place else. Never compare your lot with another’s. Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise. Never dwell on tomorrow ~ remember that tomorrow is Gods, not yours.” -author unknown
1 comment:
It was a beautiful story that changed my life... continue to enjoy!!! The movie is pretty good too, but of course books are always better. :)
Post a Comment