Saturday, September 10, 2011

Classical Conversations!

I am so excited about this homeschool program called Classical Conversations!  For quite awhile now, Jonny has had this plan of sending our kids to public school K-4th or 5th grade.  Then he wants to pull them out to homeschool for the rest of their education, maybe considering and praying about having them attend the last couple years of public high school part time.  I've had reservations and concerns about different things, but am mostly just taking the role of prayer and following my husband.

Now some new ideas are being discussed.  We've heard great things about Classical Conversations over the last year, and just about signed Eli up for it this year.  The deadline is today!  I still sorta wish he was doing it this year.  I know he'd love it and learn so much, but there were just too many road blocks preventing us from going ahead with it this year.  The things they will learn, at a young age are amazing!  I'm excited to do it for me!  I want to reclaim my education.  :)

Jonny and I have been talking about what we want to do for the boys' education A LOT lately.  Praying.  Reading.  Praying.  Talking.  More praying.  Jonny now thinks he wants to amend his plan to pull the boys out of public school after 3rd grade.  Anyway, I know that as each family prays and seeks the Lord for wisdom on these things, we may feel led in different directions.  I love to hear how God is working in families who are all doing different things.  The ultimate hope is that our children come to know and love the One who made us.

I was thinking we'd just continue with our little homeschool with Mommy this year.  No curriculum, no program, just Mommy trying to be creative and think of fun ways to teach the boys some basic skills.  At last Sunday's service, as I was praying about all of this stuff, I got up towards the end of worship to go get the boys.  I was stopped by a mommy who said she'd had me on her heart for the past week and wanted to share this curriculum with me.  Its a very basic curriculum based all on character development- things like obedience, faithfulness, integrity, patience, etc.  AWESOME!  That is just what we need right now.  A solid foundation of what godly character looks like is what we've always been working on, but now I might have a few more tools to work with in teaching that to my boys!  Thank you Lord!

On Monday we then found out our neighbor across the street is the director of the Albany Classical Conversations group!  How funny!  We're praying about doing Classical Conversations with Noah next year while Eli is in half-time kindergarten.  I think it'll be a good comparison.  Then we'll pray about what to do for the years after that, but I know we'll always be building on TRUE wisdom- fearing the LORD, knowing Him and walking in obedience to Him.

No comments: