Sunday, December 12, 2010

Nehemiah Study

I joined another bible study, initially for Homeschooling mom's (our church has such a big & great support group for the homeschooling families) but is really for any woman who wants to come.  In fact, at last Friday's study I was so encouraged to parent my two year old with more grace & patience for him and myself by a woman who doesn't even have children.  So neat!  Anyway, I really enjoyed last week's study.  It was over Nehemiah 3 & 4. The study is one where we actually have a little homework to do.  Its been cool to read the text and then dig deeper by reflecting on questions relating to the reading and then relating to our personal experiences.  

Here are a few interesting things I gleaned from last time... 
  • Types of people involved in the project of rebuilding the wall & similarities to God's people today?  People from all walks of life!
  • Where is it that God's people (then & now) should begin working? v.10  Near our homes & in our homes. 
    • thought- Think of the benefit to God's people if everyone acknowledged HOME as their first priority of service.  My first priority & ministry is my husband and children!
  • What is the most ambitious remodeling project you have ever  undertaken?  What lesson did you learn about yourself through the process?  No real physical remodeling projects for me, but personal remodeling that is prompted by the Spirit is a life-long project.  It can be so painful at times, but yields great fruit.  I'm in the middle of one of those right now!  Those 'projects' are just a reminder of how sinful and utterly useless I am without the Lord's gracious hand upon my life.
    • thought-  Remember that the purpose behind all work undertaken for the Lord must be the glory of God- not the organization behind it or the people involved.  Jesus Christ fulfilled His purpose and left His followers motivating words to do the same:  "I have glorified You on the earth.  I have finished the work You have given Me to do."  -John 17:4
  • Do you have a work to do for God?  -Ephes. 2:10  Right next to that verse in my bible I have the date 09.12.09 and the words "be a mommy".  My building project is to build a christian foundation for my children as I raise them in the Lord.  I can't do that without the 'building plan' of God's Word.  He is the architect. 
  • The words built & repair are used often in the text.  What do these words mean?  Cause it to continue- rebuild.  Restore to a good or sound condition after decay or damage.  To make good.  We are made good by the lumber of the cross (JuRita shared that one with us!)
  • Why were the gates of such great importance?  They are the instrument that either allows or prohibits the flow of traffic.  They are used a lot.  They are noticeable.  They spoke of the character of the character of the town?  They led to the center of the town?  Vulnerable?  Who & what am I allowing to enter my home?  Are we being good stewards with the home He has provided?  Are we locking and opening the 'gate' at appropriate times for the well-being of our family and glory of the Lord?
    • thought-  Locks and bars are mentioned five times, indicating not only the importance of doing God's work but of protecting it.  
    • thought-  Locks and bars are used to protect from what is outside, and also to keep safe what is inside.  
  • Anyone working on a building site is required to wear a hard hat on the job.  What 'hard hats' do you wear? The armor of God- Ephes. 6
    • thought-  Consider (search the scriptures for) the enemy's tactic's to enter and the believer's counter tactics to lock him out. 
  • Memory verse:  "So we built the wall... for the people had a mind to work."  Nehemiah 4:6

1 comment:

JuRita said...

Jess, I love your recap! Keep it up! I have been blogging one for each lesson and it has been VERY challenging!! There is so much good insight each time we meet. I was so blessed to have you there. I love your honesty, your love for Jesus, and your heart to serve your family. See you soon!