Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Just a flower quickly fading!

Okay, so Jonny is gone tonight so I'm left to my thoughts, and this is what I've been thinking about.

Jonny's sister, her husband and parents came to visit on Monday. (Pictures to share later) Monday night Jonny started a little trivia game. Kristen and Jonny were both biology majors in college, so Mr. Biology Teacher wanted to see how much she could remember. (She's now flying B-1's for the Air Force.) It went on for awhile and was funny. Jonny had fun teasing Kristen about things she forgot; but when we laid down to bed that night Jonny told me how most of this stuff is useless. It doesn't matter. It does- in certain contexts... like his knowledge in this 'useless stuff' provides us with a monthly paycheck that gives us our home, food, clothing, etc. But I started thinking about all the junk we have stored in our minds. I think back to my job as a bank teller- all the codes, regulations, words, money increments I had memorized. And then college- we practiced a lot of what we called cram and flushing- cram it all into your brain and flush it all out onto the test. And what about sports or other hobbies people enjoy? Stats, teams, and plays are memorized. We're talking TONS of info. How many movie lines do we have memorized?

So this is my question: What do these things matter? What if we took the same effort to memorize the Word of God as we do these earthy things that will soon just pass away and have no eternal value? We have to memorize these things on earth for our jobs, yes; but what is our first calling? Our first job? Jesus told us what our job was right before he ascended into heaven.
"And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go thereforec]">[c] and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen" -Matthew 28:18-20

In my reading through Proverbs, I have learned that Solomon is telling his son to remember what he is saying over and over and over and OVER! Its what God wants us to do with His word. He wants His word to be written on our heart. He wants it to penetrate deep within our souls. He wants us to know His good news and share it. Nothing else matters. Its all gone in the blink of an eye- a vapor in the wind- a wave tossed in the ocean. It makes me think of this song:

Then the song reminds me that its not only the things of earth that pass so quickly, we do too. What are we going to spend our time thinking about, talking about, and doing?

1 comment:

JuRita said...

Thanks for sharing Jess! Very encouraging! I was just sharing with Lydia the other day about famine. Our devotional we are going to described that someday there might be a famine of Gods word (like many other countries.. where those who have bibles are persecuted). And how important it is to have Gods word hidden in our hearts. :) Last year Sean sent me out for some time by myself and I was so bummed I forgot my Bible and only had my journal. I decided to write down every scripture my heart could think of... it was such blessing because i thought I would be at a loss, but God was so faithful! Even if I don't study as much as I like I was so thankful His word did not return void. Anyways, I am rambling! Thank you again. Blessings to you!