I got the following excerpt from a blog I found: "Many families in Haiti are economically not able to care for their children. Sometimes the parents simply let the children abandoned on the street and never come back. These babies usually end in an orphanage (if they are not refused because in Haiti all orphanages are generally overfull). Although children living in an orphanage may be lucky for having at least having a bed, most of them suffer from hunger and have to share clothes with the other orphans."

Oh my goodness. I can't stop thinking about all those orphans in Haiti. Since the earthquake hit nine days ago Jonny and I can't stop talking and researching stuff about adoption. We have been so moved with sadness and compassion for all those precious babies who were without
homes/families before the quake hit and now with the orphan numbers reaching in the tens of thousands, its just completely heart breaking.I couldn't sleep last night thinking about how so many of us are sitting so nice, safe and comfortable and the thought of helping these helpless, innocent children doesn't even cross
our minds. Ahh! For the last week my mind has been going back and f
orth about buying this really cute necklace I found... not that that would be bad... but as I tossed and turned in bed last night, my perspective just took a change in direction. I'm only talking about a $10 necklace here, but my point is this- how many necklaces do I have? How much stuff do we have? These kids have nothing. Not even a family. And they are even losing their health. Family, a home, our health... we are so wealthy! As Christians, it seems like more of us should be reaching out to these children. Didn't Jesus teach about reaching out to the poor and the needy? Adoption may not be what the Lord has for everyone, but maybe more of us should be prayerfully considering it. I know my heart strings are being tugged in that direction. Then there's the concern of the expense, but HOLY COW- what's wrong with our way of thinking? Why do we, in our culture, seem to be more concerned about our pocket books than saving a child's innocent life!? That is so backwards. How is that right? How does that way of thinking line up at all with what Jesus taught about? I remember someone once telling me, 'A rich man says having children will make you poor, but the poor man says having children make you rich.' Obviously adoption is a big, big decision and not enough families are able to do it. Although adoption would be the huge, long-term help to these orphans, they need some immediate help. Our prayers are the most powerful tool we have, so lets remember to pray, pray, pray for these children and that somehow their lives would be saved to not only live a life on earth, but for all eternity.
4 comments:
awww...Jess I love your post. And I have heard that saying too about being rich and poor with children. It really erks and pushing my buttons when people respond "i can't afford another child" or something similar. I think its ridiculous and I know our lives are only getting richer b/c of the children God has blessed us with :) I would trade them for not even a million dollars....horrible our society thinks.
Ummm...to the Rebekah person, I think it's better to realize you can't afford to have children and not have them, than to have child after child, unable to care for them. Better to admit you can't afford them, than to abandon them and have them suffer and die on the streets of a third world country or sell them as a slave like ~10% of the children of Haiti (by the way, it's "irks"). I'll never understand why you people are so into overpopulation.
Anyway, it is pretty amazing that more people aren't even considering adopting, or think of it as second best to "bio" children. Of course, just like having biological children, it's not for everyone. But it is everybody's responsibility to so something. Even if it's just spreading awareness or donating what they can. I personally don't believe in bringing more children into the world when so many are in such need of families (I know you'll disagree...that was just my personal opinion for my own life). Haiti is definitely hard to adopt from, I think you have to be over 35 and married for 10 years and a lot of other rules. And of course adopting traumatized/neglected children is a huge, difficult, life-changing commitment. (Sorry so long, I don't know you, don't have a blog, and won't be back. I just got mad at the comment above.)
I agree Jessica! I want to do something that counts for those people...praying on what that means!
Boy, Anonymous really missed the point, oh well. I thought your blog was private to only friends and family...Maybe they need friends and family???
XXXOOO MOM
Post a Comment