Okay, so I just got home from the Harvest Carnival & re-read what I posted earlier today, & I have a few more things to say- clarify. When I say that we are not to participate in all that the world has to offer- in regards to Halloween- I'm talking about the evilness of Halloween. The scary stuff. The demons, devils, death... etc. Those things are real & we, as Christians, should not associate with them. John 8:12 says, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” We cannot serve two masters. We should not find joy & pleasure from things that have to do with death & evil spirits.
I, personally, don't think this means that we should not dress up as monkeys or go to Harvest Carnivals or carve smiley faces on our pumpkins or even go trick-or-treating. I used to think it was okay to carve pumpkins, but it was a little over the top to go trick-or-treating; I've now changed my opinion. I think if you are not going to do one of those things because its roots are evil you should not do any of them. Jack-o-lanterns are originally just as bad as trick-or-treating. The whole celebration has evil roots & to say its okay to do one & not the other would be hypocritical. The main point is where our heart is & what we're showing others? Are we conforming to the world & its darkness by dressing up as a demon or devil? Are we compromising our witness? Or are we being a light on a dark night?
As a kid, my mom had us stay home & we'd pass out candy with bible verses wrapped around them. It's hard to say which way is the best way- participate or not to participate... its reminds me of the whole homeschool ordeal. Which is better? What helps our children to be in the world but not of it?
For now my stance is to participate by making a Godly twist to it. This is a dark night. Tonight is a night of sin. It sickens me to remember what goes on around OSU campus on Halloween night. We are so blessed to be called out of the darkness & into His light. "But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;: 1 Peter 2:9.
Anyway... I feel as though I've rambled on & on & still am not clearly saying what I want to say... oh well... look at these cute boys!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment