Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Urologist

I met w/ the urologist today- Dr. Bashey. I explained to him that I woke up Saturday morning feeling no pain & have felt completely normal since then. He seemed to think the stone is still in there. Apparently the pain can 'let up' for awhile & then return. I guess the stone they found is 1.2 cm long, which he thought was a pretty hefty size stone. Dr. Bashey said he 'was worried about me' & that he wants to 'watch me closely the rest of the pregnancy'. Based on the size of the stone & the pain I was feeling, he thought he was going to have to remove it surgically. They'd give me a spinal, but there is a risk it could send me into premature labor. However, Dr. Bashey thought it was wonderful news that I feel so great. He wants me to get another ultrasound in a couple weeks to see what's going on w/ the stone. If the pain does return, he hopes we can just continue w/ the Vicodin for as long as possible & finish out my pregnancy- full term. He wants to do some x-rays & a cat scan after I have the baby. He also asked me how many children I plan to have b/c kidney stones are somewhat common during pregnancy (what!?), especially if you've already had one. Here I thought I needed to be extra good about my calcium intake b/c I hate milk... & I end up w/ too much causing a kidney stone!

No comments: